Sunday, September 06, 2009

Do My Gifts Matter

I am not a cat lover. But I am not a cat hater either. The best quality of cats is that they mostly stay out of the way. I am glad that we have strange cats (then again that might be all cats). There is Blackard. She is a volunteer cat. She belongs to our neighbor's son's girlfriend. However she spends most of her time at our house. I guess it helps to have a young son who likes cats.

Muffin is the one who is strange. Everyday she comes to the back door and meows. Loudly. We used to think that meant she was hungry. When she meows she may be hungry, but it is not the reason she meows. The reason she wants to get our attention is that she has left us a gift. It is the same kind of gift every time. A leaf. The leaf is usually large and it is an entire leaf. Maybe she heard one of the kids had a biology project? It may be a gift, but not one that I want.

When I give a gift (not just an object but a gift in the broadest sense including friendship, love, assistance), I wonder how my gift is perceived. I hope I am not giving a Muffin Gift. Do I give what I want? Do I give what they want? Or perhaps can I give the gift that is needed?

Every time I hear Muffin I think of the last stanza of a Shel Sivlerstein poem:

And some kind of help is the kind of help
That helping's all about
And some kind of help is the kind of help
We all can do without

What kind of gift do you give?

Song of the Day

Hard Headed Woman
Cat Stevens

Dedicated to Muffin (the hard headed cat)

Im looking for a hard headed woman,
One who will take me for myself,
And if I find my hard headed woman,
I wont need nobody else, no, no, no.

Im looking for a hard headed woman,
One who will make me do my best,
And if I find my hard headed woman
I know the rest of my life will be blessed -- yes, yes, yes.

No comments: