Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tino Came to Texas


One amazing thing about the family of God is the relationships you can have. Last week a friend from Denver came to visit me in Texas. The thing that is amazing is not that we are friends, but the fact that we even met. I met Tino because I took some kids to Dry Bones in Denver. I went to Dry Bones because my son was interning there for the summer and one of the leaders used to be a punk kid from my home church. This punk kid later was my deacon when I worked in Dallas. Now he was helping my kid learn to be a better servant. Tino used to live on the street, but now reaches out to those who are where he used to be. That is where and why Tino and I became friends.

Tino had never been to Texas before this trip. So I did not mess around. I took him to the best ribs I know of in East Texas. We threw in some Don Juan's, working at the Karing Kitchen, moving walls for the Habitat House, cooking for the Wednesday night meal, and doing some sorting for LTC. After a stop for Taqueria Lugar and Tino fixing his style of ribs for my family, we ended the week with a full day at the Habitat House.

The good news Tino survived the humidity...barely. The better news is that I continue to marvel at the richness of relationships that God puts in my life. I look forward to new adventures with Tino and other people I know, but I also look forward to the adventures with those I have not even met.

Song of the Day

Dirty
Audio Adrenaline

Dedicated to Tino (Great working with you)

Tired of being clean, sick of being proper
I wanna live among the beggars
And dig out in the dirt
Step outside the walls we built to protect us
Don't be afraid to get some mud on your face

Come on, come on everybody
Come on, come on and serve someone

Let's get dirty, let's get used
No matter where you come from
If you're beaten up or bruised
Let's get foolish - let's get free
Free to be the one thing you were meant to be
Let's get dirty

You might get a bruise or some blisters on your fingers
You might start a question and wonder what it's worth
You may slip and fall from the burdens that you carry
But you can't have this treasure
'til you dig it from the dirt

1 comment:

Tino said...

Tim,
You and your family were so kind to open up your home for (8) days. As much as I hear of people wanting to move to Colorado from Texas, since I've been back I'm starting to think maybe somday I will move to Texas. The kindness and love so many people showed me really is a blessing. I had a great time even though it was funny to me when Saturday came around and it was so hot and humid because it had rained the entire time I was there! Tim, in some ways I envy you because you are so outgoing and really go out of your way in showing love to friend or stranger. I am more closed in. The way you are with your kids and the students you teach at Shiloh Road CofC and ETCA completely astounds and amazes me! It's easy to see why your family loves you so much. In my opinion, you are a true man of God. You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers! Hopefully, we can do this all again next year! Peace and love to you Tim Hendo. Laters..