Monday, August 17, 2009

Treat People Better

When I was in the hospital in April, I had a surprise visit from a doctor I did not know. It was a tough introduction, "Hello , my name is Dr. Palanisamy. I am an oncologist." Not the best opening. The short story is a scan had shown a spot on my right lung. Not what they were looking at, but something that needed to be followed. So last week I had another scan. On Thursday I went to the doctor to get the results. Simple and easy: there is no longer anything there.

Sunday I shared these events with the high schoolers. The question was, what would you have thought or felt if you had found out that you had lung cancer instead of getting the all clear. Great responses. Dalton said he would be scared. Zach thought he would get after his bucket list. Brenna thought that she would be reflective and look back on her life and evaluate how she had lived. But my favorite answer was from Holly, "Treat people better." I smile every time I think of that answer. All of these were great answers to a very complex situation. But to be able to change in the midst of pain, to take hurt and yet to give love, what a wonderful thought.

I will be dissatisfied until I live with the daily realization that I do not need to be diagnosed with lung cancer in order to understand my days are short. I will be dissatisfied until I live with daily transformation and I am treating people better.

Song of the Day

Give Me Your Eyes
Brandon Heath

Dedicated to Holly Stidham

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

1 comment:

Mark Edge said...

Welcome back to the world of blogging, Tim! I look forward to reading your thoughts, such as the today's powerful post.